Other Plays by John Collings
Collings, John (English playwright, 1949-____), “The Writer,”
a 16-minute surreal drama in English, set in a room, late afternoon, 2003,
© 2003 by John Collings;
• in John Collings’ The Writer (Eastbourne, East Sussex, United Kingdom: The Author, 2003);
• script/rights available from John Collings, Flat 4, London House, 27 Cornfield Terrace, Eastbourne, East Sussex BU21 4NT, United Kingdom, e-mail email@example.com, telephone (home) 01323 521198.
• Cited by John Collings via ftp April 4, 2004; Collings says,
George (m), 25, writer; David (m), 23, character in George’s novel; Mother (f), 55, George’s mother; Abbey (f), 23, character in George’s novel.
“George, who lives with his mother, has never married. Most of his spare time is spent sitting at an old typewriter, trying to write a romantic novel. George’s mother keeps ridiculing him over his writing. Then George gets an electric shock from his lamp, which knocks him out. When he wakes up, the characters he has created in his book appear to him. The first is Abbey, who tells George how he can best write a best seller. Abbey explains how George has got her character wrong. She not romantic, feminine and brainless but has a mind of her own. Abbey wants a happy ending to the book. David, the jealous husband who appears next, wants to kill Abbey’s lover Max, making it a tragic ending. In the end, George grants Abbey’s wish (not before falling in love with Abbey himself), David shoots himself. Abbey is free to run away with Max.
• “The play has a twist ending. One continuous scene, no changes, no special requirements.
• “Premiered by a fringe theatre festival of short plays in London.“
• Research could include John Collings’ one-act musical Mary (Woolston, Warrington, Cheshire, England: New Theatre Publications, 2001), ISBN 1840942592, 31 pp., 4m3f (+ extras).
• “Theatrical Experience/Training: Have attended various workshops for several years on play writing, screen writing and lyric writing. Produced and directed first play ‘Kelly & Donald’ at a London Fringe Theatre. Written a short play entitled the ‘Writer’. Wrote a book and the lyrics for a play entitled ‘Mary’. In 1999 co-founded a Community Arts group for Havering called ‘Second Chance’. Writing and producing issue based plays. Co-writing an environmental play/screenplay entitled ‘Wally Waster & The Clean Up Fairy’. Turning the screenplay into a video, which I directed. Also recently I have had my first play ‘Kelly & Donald’ adapted and produced by MIND as part of their ‘Mental Health Wheel’ raising awareness of mental health issues. Interested in any work offered. Like writing plays and lyrics for songs.”—Plays4Theatre.com On-Line, http://www.plays4theatre.com/, accessed April 26, 2004.
• Page mounted April 26, 2004, updated October 5, 2008, by the Webmaster.
hate, love, Pirandello (Luigi Pirandello, Italian 1934 Nobel Laureate, 1867-1936), romantic novel, Six Characters in Search of an Author.