Other Plays by Kaz Getts
Getts, Kaz (aka Karen Getts, Australian playwright, 1977-____), “Window Shopping,”
a 10-minute "what-if" romantic comedy in English, set in a train carriage, evening peak hour, 2005,
© 2005 by Kaz Getts;
• in Kaz Getts’ Window Shopping (Turramurra, New South Wales, Australia: The Author, 2005);
• script/rights available from Kaz Getts, 66 Warragal Road, Turramurra, New South Wales 2074 Australia, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com, telephone (home) +61294887102.
• Cited by Kaz Getts via ftp February 7, 2005; Kaz Getts says,
Matt (m nonspeaking), 27, shy man, finds it hard to meet and talk to women, has a lively imagination; Matt's Mind (m speaking), 27, lively, charismatic, yet vulnerable; Sophie, (f nonspeaking), 27, vulnerable, shy, sweet, romantic but capable of being raunchy in the fantasy scene; Sophie's Psyche (f speaking), 27, vulnerable, shy, sweet, romantic.
“Two people, coming home from work, see each other’s reflection in the train carriage window. Instead of looking away they hold each other’s gaze. Using their personalities to do the talking, each interprets the other’s interest in them, resulting in two similar yet different fantasies that show the similarities and differences between men and women. The characters are urged by their psyches to take a risk and make contact, but that isn’t to be—or is it?
• “Premiered in Short & Sweet Festival Schedule 2005, Newtown Theatre @ The Edge, corner King and Bray Streets, Newtown, Australia, http://www.newtowntheatre.com.au, directed by Warren Bradey. Full production and casting notes from the original production are available. This version featured two fully choreographed dance routines (one for each fantasy) and some comedy voice overs. These and train sounds effects are also available.
• Page mounted February 27, 2005, updated December 11, 2008, by the Webmaster.
courtship, interior monologue, lost opportunities, taking a chance on love.