Other Plays by Gabriel Lanci
Lanci, Gabriel (American playwright, February 18, 1940-____), “Water Songs,”
a 10-minute drama, in English, set upstairs room in a large house by the sea, U.S.A., late afternoon, 1987 or any time after,
© 1987 by Gabriel Lanci;
• in Gabriel Lanci’s Water Songs (Lynn, Massachusetts, U.S.A.: The Author, 1987);
• script/rights available from Gabriel Lanci, 32 Baltimore Street, Lynn, Massachusetts 01902, U.S.A., telephone (home) 781-593-1085, (work) 781-593-1085, e-mail GabeLanci@aol.com.
• Cited by Lanci Gabriel via ftp, May 31, 1998.
_______ (f), __, a woman in her middle years.
“A woman in her middle years, sits alone in a room that overlooks a shore upon which a wild sea crashes. She is attempting to leave a message for someone she loves. Her memory is going and soon she will not be able to speak. She likens the process of her loss with the ‘great gray sea’ that is eating away at the shore outside. At points in her recall she loses the power of speech and can only make inarticulate sounds, her eyes lost in a distant vision. She feels betrayed by the person she loves, she suspects he has found someone else to replace her, she remembers the beauty of their sexual liaisons and chooses to abandon him. In her mind she wanders across the trackless gray beach. ‘I loved someone . . . was it you? I don’t know your name. I knew it once didn’t I?’ In her eagerness to walk into the raging seas and lose all painful memories, she flings out her arms and knocks over a large glass of water on the table beside her chair. The glass crashes to the floor, the water runs over the table.”
• Lynn playwright Gabriel Lanci had a heck of a week last week. First, he learned that he won $50,000 in an international competition. Then he got word that the Chain Lightning off-Broadway theater is producing one of his plays. "The Resurrection Play" -- one of a trilogy he wrote -- was one of 1,470 entries submitted from 76 countries three years ago to the first International Cultural Competition for an original play, sponsored by the Alexander S. Onassis Public Benefit Foundation in Greece."--Two exciting chapters in Lynn writer's life - The Boston Globe, accessed August 24, 2009.
• Page mounted March 22, 1999, and updated March 26, 31, 1999, August 24, 2009, by the site Webmaster.
abandonment, lost love, memory, middle years, sea, shore, sex, speech, suicide.