Vines in a Vacuum
Other Plays by James J. Brunelle
Brunelle, James J. (aka James Brunelle, aka Jimmy Brunelle, American playwright, teacher of guitar and creativity, golfer, musician, songwriter, runner, 19__-____), “Vines in a Vacuum,”
a 20-minute drama in English, set in Gene and Ramona’s house, anywhere, U.S.A, 1998,
© 1998 by James J. Brunelle;
• in James J. Brunelle's Hatched & Batched One Act Plays (Manville, Rhode Island, U.S.A.: Author, 1998);
• script/rights/reading copy of full script available from http://www.jimmybrunelle.com.
• script sample available at http://www.zartmo.com/plays/vinesinavacuum.html.
Gene (m), __, a quadriplegic; Joseph (m), __, Ramona’s husband; Ramona (f), __, Gene’s younger sister.
"In the apartment of Joseph and Ramona, Gene, a quadraplaegic, in a chair, talks to the audience in a stilted manner, as if his thinking is a little slower. He never speaks to the others. Joseph and Ramona debate taking care of Gene. Gene reveals his thoughts about his situation, their relationship, and what he hopes the future will bring.
• “The play only shows what is perhaps the beginning of the end for Joseph and Ramona.
• "An early version of "Vines in a Vacuum" premiered in the summer of 1992 at Beauregard-Handel Studios in Providence, Rhode Island, U.S.A., with the following cast: Rob Isaacson as Gene, Kara Marshan as Ramona, Norm Valant as Joseph, directed by James J. Brunelle, produced by James T. Beauregard and Craig William Handel.
• “‘Vines in a Vacuum’ is the first play that I wrote and directed. It is based on a personal experience of taking care of someone who was permanently disabled. It was a powerful experience to conceive, rehearse, and see this play performed in front of a full house. I fell in love with the theater that evening. I saw that it can truly be one of the best ways to communicate to the world. I felt significant and realized that the creative process is really an experience in ‘letting go’. I am eternally grateful to Jim Beauregard and Craig Handel for supporting and nurturing my writing.”—One-act plays by James J. Brunelle: Vines in a Vacuum, http://www.zartmo.com/plays/vinesinavacuum.html, accessed November 23, 2001.
• See also Jimmy Brunelle's "Abandoned," a 25-minute drama in English set in Any Rhode Island City, 1997, 3m; "Ham Radio," a 20-minute comedy in English, set in an outdoor café, 2m or 2f; and
"The House of Bake," a 20-minute comedy in English set on the stage of Alexa's The House of Bake, a cable access TV show or just a show in Alexa's mind, 1998, 1m3f or 2m2f; "Hose", a 20-25 minute comedy in English, set in a Block Island bar in the present, 1998, 1m; "I'm a Good Little Girl" a 15-minute comedy for a kid to do in English set in a Native American casino in the present, 1999, 1f; "The Happy Club", a 15-20 minute comedy for kids to do set in a classroom in the present, 1999, 3m or 3f; "Slaying Bob Marley and the Minion of Babylon," a 15-minute drama in English set in an unspecified place, at an unspecified time, 2m1f.
• “I, Jimmy Brunelle, am a writer, playwright, guitar and creativity teacher, runner, songwriter, and human being who lives in Cumberland, Rhode Island, USA. I graduated from Cumberland High School in 1979, attended R.I. College (Kappa Delta Phi), and went on to become all of the above and below. Since 1992, I have written twenty plays, which have been staged thousands of times around the world. I've had the pleasure to direct four of these productions. I have also had some fun acting in over twenty plays. I've been playing guitar and singing for over thirty years, teaching creativity with and for the guitar for seventeen. I have been co-creator or a member of many bands over the years such as Invoke The Kata, Legend, The Blue Clippers, The Bonellies, JB And The Wolf, and Kenny Method. I have produced/engineered the recordings of several artists including: the debut album by Wendy Lapides called NO BLUES, The Blind Poets, Zartmo And The Ovenbeets, Tangible Vandalism, Tia Trivisonno, Jami Hirsch, and Christa Dulude. I am an active member in the Rhode Island Road Runners, and am currently their webmaster and creator of their website. Qualifying for the Boston Marathon was a dream come true. I launched Jimmy Brunelle Play Co. in January of 2000. I am very passionate about providing excellent service to my customers and students. My life is dedicated to expressing and sharing my creativity, and teaching others to do the same. This publishing company is a 'mom & pop' shop run completely by yours truly. Unlike large ‘gate-keeper’ publishing companies, you have access to the author of the plays. I am available for questions about ordering, scripts, etc. If you have a question, please read the Frequently Asked Questions first. If it isn't answered there, send an email to email@example.com Feel free to call, but be advised that I am also a teacher and a runner; I am not always home to answer the phone. I will return calls as soon as possible (usually within 24 hours) and when it is an appropriate time of day for each of our time zones. Email is best as I can answer them at any time of the day. If you do call, please do so only between 9:00 AM-9:00 PM EST (click here for time zones). Playwright/ runner/ teachers need their sleep.”—Jimmy Brunelle Play Co.: About Jimmy Brunelle, http://www.jimmybrunelle.com/support/aboutjbpc.html, accessed March 11, 2007.
quadriplegia, care, isolation, responsibility, ethics.
Other Plays by James J. Brunelle