The Time and the Place: The Glacier
Carballido, Emilio (Mexican playwright, absurdist, professor, author of numerous novellas, short stories, operas and ballet pieces, ____-____),
“The Time and the Place: The Glacier,” a __-minute fantasy in English, translated by Margeret Sayers Peden (biographer, literary historian and critic, translator from Spanish into English) from Carballido’s Spanish original, set in _____, ____,
© 1970 by Margeret Sayers Peden;
• in Emilio Carballido’s The Golden Thread, and Other Plays, The Texas Pan American Series, translated by Margeret Sayers Peden (Austin, Texas: University of Texas Press, 1970) (published with Emilio Carballido’s “The Clockmaker from Cordoba”; “The Golden Thread,” “The Intermediate Zone”; “The Mirror, genre unknown, 2m1f +3 extras”; “Theseus,” a __-minute tragicomedy in English, 2m1f +3 extras; “The Time and the Place: Dead Love,” a __-minute fantasy, 2m2f; and “The Wine Cellar”).
____ (m), elderly husband; ____ (m), __, ____; ____ (f), elderly wife.
• “Elderly married couple discover the body of the woman’s first husband, who was frozen in a glacier fifty years earlier.”—Play Index 1968-1972: An Index to 3,848 Plays, edited by Estelle A. Fidell (New York: The H. W. Wilson Company, 1973), p. 42.
• Research should include Margaret Sayers Peden’s Emilio Carballido, Twayne’s World Authors series, TWAS 561 (Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.A.: Twayne Publishers, 1980), ISBN 0805764038.
• “Contemporary Mexican playwright, Emilio Carballido was born in Cordoba, in 1925. He is a literature professor at the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), a vice-chancellor of the Veracruz University Theatre School and a dramatic arts professor at the National Institute of the Fine Arts (INBA), the UNAM and at some American universities as well. Emilio has written over 100 plays some of which include: Refined Triangle, Triple Persistance, Middle Zone, Selajinela, The Parasites, The Dance That a Turtle Dreams About, Golden Thread, Happiness, The First Mass, The Tavern, A Perfect Woman, A Small Day of Wrath, News of the Day, A Rose by Another Name, The Letters of Mozart, Numansia, Orinoco, The Time of Thieves and The Istanbul Slave, Ceremony at the Tiger's Temple. He is also the author of numerous novellas, short stories, operas and ballet pieces.”—EMILIO CARBALLIDO, http://www.speakingofstories.org/Author%20Bios/emilio_carballido.htm, accessed September 5, 2006.
• Photograph from Excelsior, http://www.nuevoexcelsior.com.mx/Excelsior/macros/GenericNewsWithPhoto.jsp?contentid=11975&version=1, accessed September 5, 2006.
corpse, death, discovery, freezing, glacier, marriage, old age.