Other Plays by Paul Cohen
Cohen, Paul (_______ playwright, writer, editor, reviewer, 1964-____), “The Tally,”
a __-minute 35-minute drama in English, set in the Warsaw Ghetto, Poland, one morning in March, 1943,
© 1997 by Paul Cohen;
• in Paul Cohen’s The Tally (Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.: The Author, 1997);
• script/rights available from Paul Cohen, 1138 S. Bedford Street #5, Los Angeles, California 90035, U.S.A., telephone 310-278-9617, fax 213-462-6731, e-mail email@example.com.
• Cited by Paul Cohen via e-mail, May 6, 1997; Cohen says,
Weiss (m), 48, a deeply religious Jewish survivor; _______ (m), __, a hapless wounded German soldier, something of an innocent; Ruti (f), 20, a defiant Jewish survivor.
“In the dying days of the Warsaw Ghetto uprising, two Jewish survivors huddle in a cellar. One is Ruti, a defiant 20-year-old, and the other is Weiss, a man of 48. Weiss is deeply religious; Ruti believes only in revenge. After a raid outside, a triumphant Ruti drags in a wounded German soldier, wishing to execute him in front of Weiss as a lesson in retribution. The two Jews battle over the hapless young man who represents the enemy, but who, in himself, is something of an innocent.
• “‘The Tally’ takes an original look at one of the most scorching and tragic periods in 20th century history, and asks the question: Can you shoot your enemy in cold blood when he lies wounded on the floor at your feet?”
• Paul Cohen is a native New Yorker and product of its public school system. His plays have been produced at the John Houseman Theatre Center, Schapiro Theatre, Producer's Club II and Producer's Club Grand Theatre, The Riant Theatre's Strawberry One-act Play Festival, and for extended runs at Theatre-Studio, Inc. He is a founding member as well as the Literary Director of Faction of Fools Theatre Company, Inc. He currently lives and writes in Manhattan.—Faction of Fools -- Members, http://www.factionoffools.org/des-prod.html, accessed October 4, 2008.
• Page mounted online May 6, 1997, updated May 4, 1997, May 23, 1998, October 4, 2008, by the site Webmaster.
assassination, cellar, generation gap, innocence, Jewish, raid, religion, revenge, Warsaw Ghetto uprising, wounded.