Other Plays by John Monteleone
Monteleone, John (American playwright, March 2, 1956-____), “Snapshot,”
a 40-minute bare-stage hyper-real memory play in English, set in the mind of a child, 1988,
(1 m may be f)
© 1988 by John Monteleone;
• in John Monteleone’s Snapshot (Sag Harbor, New York, U.S.A.: The Author, 1988);
• script/rights available from John Monteleone, P.O. Box 2723, Sag Harbor, New York 11963, U.S.A., telephone (home and work) 631-725-5251, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, Website http://www.JohnMonteleone.com. Orders should specify a preferred method of mail: (a) e-mail (if the recipient can open a Microsoft Word document, the author can e-mail the full manuscript as an attached file), or (b) regular mail.
• Cited by John Monteleone via ftp, July 7, 1997, updated March 3, 2009.
Mother (f); Father (m), Child (m or f), an adult.
“An adult walks into an empty space and remembers the last days of his or her parents life. As he does, his parents come to life in chilling, sharp images that penetrate what it means to grow old and what a single life is all about. The images, like a movie of one’s life shot in quick, transformational snapshots, reflect parent/child/spouse relationships, the mystery and swiftness of life, and the ephemeral connections they shared together as the child struggles to come to terms with their deaths. The last image sums up the experience—the child grasping for air and trying to hold onto memories of them, like photographic snapshots that hold the memory and the experience, but no longer, the flesh.
• “Produced at Dowling College with professional actors.
• “Monteleone has 3 full-length plays which have received either production or professional New York City readings, and 2 solo works. The full-length plays are Farmland (9m2f), Prisoners in Paradise (3m1f), The Lamp (2m2f). The solos: Diary of a Madman adapted from the Gogol classic (1m or 1f), and Perfectly Norm-Ill People (also Tragic and I'm Still Laughing) (10 characters for 1 or more m or f)— All of his plays and excerpts of them are is listed on his Website http://www.JohnMonteleone.com.
• “He has also written numerous screenplays:" Men and the Sea, Timekeeper, Top Story, Home, Eyes in the Dark, We the People. He produced one full-length feature film (an Independent film) Lies in Love.
• All of Monteleone’s plays are innovative, challenging, offer interesting story lines, are ideal for the professional theatre and wonderful for colleges. John Monteleone has received critical acclaim as both a playwright and actor, he is a graduate of N.Y.U. Tisch School of the Arts Graduate program, a member of the Dramatists Guild, and Actors Equity, and has worked to develop new plays in N.Y.C.. He holds a B.F.A. and M.A., was an Artist-in-Residence and Professor of Drama at Dowling College for 14 years. He has also produced numerous plays, play readings with famous and student playwrights, created Improvisational Theatre, Children's Theatre, and ran an acting school for 20 years.
• Page mounted July 7, 1997, updated August 4, 1997, May 28, June 16, 2001, March 3, 2009, by the site Webmaster.
child-parent relationship, death, entrapment, family, marriage, memories, mind, resolution, surrealism.