Dolcino, Doug (American playwright, 1966-____), “Serenade,”
a 12-minute comedy-drama in English, set below a balcony, night, U.S.A., 1998,
© 1998 by Doug Dolcino;
• script/rights available from Doug Dolcino, 33 North State Street, Room 1, Concord, Hampshire, 03301, U.S.A., telephone (home) 603-228-2307, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Cited by Doug Dolcino, via ftp December 13, 1999; Dolcino says,
Bird (m), 72, suitor; Brand (m), 22, Bird’s protege; The Lady (f), the mysterious object of their suits.
“Bird and Brand are suitors trying to woo the affections of a mysterious Lady who has summoned them below her balcony one moonlit night. Armed with drums and love poems specially composed for this occasion, the suitors eagerly await the Lady’s appearance, competing with each other to see who is most worthy of the Lady’s hand in marriage. Brand, impatient to win the hand of his first Lady, challenges Bird’s authority when it becomes apparent that his teacher has lost his ability to woo other ladies with his serenades. Brand succeeds in asserting his independence from Bird just as the Lady appears at the balcony. A surprise strips both suitors of their pretenses, forcing them to confront their own frailty as human beings.
• “This is a short yet powerful play about love, competition and confronting failed expectations, written in a style that, in the words of one critic, ‘positively glows.’ At times funny, complex and audacious, the play is ideally-suited for a festival of short plays.
• “This play requires a very simple set consisting of a stepladder and lamp. No special lighting or costumes required. ‘Serenade’ was chosen as a finalist in the 1999 Sin Fronteras/Writers Without Borders playreading series, where it was read before a large audience with enthusiastic results."
• Research could include Doug Dolcino's "Drowning," produced by Stormy Weather Players at The Second Annual Pregnant Chad New Plays Festival (2002).–Pregnant Chads Past Programs, http://www.stormyweatherplayers.org/programs.html, accessed August 19, 2007.
• Page mounted December 13, 1999, and updated January 8, 20, March 3, 2000, May 9, 2001, June 11, 2003, November 16, 18, 2008, by the site Webmaster.
“aging, competition, hope, love.”