McLure, James (American playwright, ____-____), “Pvt. Wars,”
a __-minute comedy in English, set on the terrace of an Army hospital,
© ____ by James McLure;
• in James McLure’s Pvt. Wars (one-act version), ISBN 0-8222-0924-1, DPS 3745;
• script/rights available from Dramatists Play Service, Inc., 440 Park Avenue South, New York, New York 10016, U.S.A., telephone 212-683-8960, fax 212-213-1539, http://www.dramatists.com.
• Cited by Allen L. Hubby via e-mail email@example.com, March 20, 1997; the citation says,
Gately (m), a hillbilly; Silvio (m), a streetwise, big-city type; Natwick (m), a prissy ‘rich kid’ from Long Island.
“Three G.I.s recovering from Vietnam injuries, while away their time . . . . Gately, a hillbilly, fiddles compulsively with a disemboweled radio; Silvio, a streetwise, big-city type, is addicted to ‘flashing’ (even though his sex organs have suffered he thinks irremediable battle damage); while Natwick, a prissy ‘rich kid’ from Long Island, writes letters to his mother telling her how much he wants to become a close friend of Gately (while omitting mention of how actively Silvio dislikes him).
• “Comprised of a series of brief blackout scenes, the play blends these into a meaningful mosaic as the three tease, torment, entertain, exasperate and, on occasion, solace each other maintaining throughout a hilarity which belies their deep concern about the uncertainties of the civilian world to which they will soon be returning. Paired with “Lone Star” in its Louisville and Broadway productions, this perceptive, touching play, which deals with three Vietnam veterans recuperating in an Army hospital, is both compassionate and funny while remaining uncompromisingly honest. . . .
• “‘He is creating character comedy and these are very funny characters.’—Mel Gussow, New York Times. . . .
• “‘[D]eftly constructed, often very funny a true grasp on the absurdities of living.’—John Simon, New York. . . .
• “‘I have nothing but praise for Mr. McLure.’—Brendan Gill, The New Yorker.” . . .
• “Full-length version available, DPS 3746.
hospital, rehabilitation, Vietnam War.