The Natural Membrane of the Lamb
Other Plays by Ned Bobkoff
Bobkoff, Ned (American director, educator, 1934-____), “The Natural Membrane of the Lamb,”
a 30-minute satirical comedy in English, set in a bedroom, 1995,
(+ a mysterious presence);
© 1995 by Ned Bobkoff;
• in Ned Bobkoff’s The Natural Membrane of the Lamb (Rochester, New York, U.S.A.: The Author, 1995);
• script/rights available from Ned Bobkoff, 380D Calm Lake Circle, Rochester, New York 14612, telephone 585-621-2813, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Cited by Ned Bobkoff via e-mail July 23, 1995; Bobkoff says,
Angel (m), down-to-earth visitor; Jonathan Gridlock (m), leader of The Good Lord’s Coalition, husband of Marilyn; Marilyn Gridlock (f), co-leader of The Good Lord’s Coalition, Jonathan’s hard-put-upon wife; Mysterious Presence (m or f extra), neither here or there.
“A high spirited, Angel crashes into the bedroom of the wife of the leader of the Good Lord’s Coalition, and runs away with her. ‘Just who do you think you are, busting into my bedroom like that!’ ‘You’re not one of those are you?’ says Marilyn, shocked. ‘Look, lady', the Angel replies, stripping off his wings, ‘I don’t want to upset you, but the Good Lord Above is gone. Disappeared into a black hole, with a big bang. He got sick and tired of everyone claiming Him as one of their own. So he decided to knock off for awhile. If you got that kind of power, why not? Why work yourself to death trying to do what no one will do for themselves? ’I’d get into a different frame of mind, if I were you. One more suitable for the occasion.”
• “‘The Natural Membrane of the Lamb’ is one of three one-act comedies comprising Bobkoff’s comic trilogy Wit, Satire, Farce and Fun. The other plays of the trilogy are ‘The Madness of the American Sentry’ and ‘Invalid.’
• The play requires an excellent comedian to work. It has been done as a staged reading at the Blagoevgrad State Theatre in Bulgaria.”
• See also Ned Bobkoff’s “Invalid,” a comedy in English with a touch of Moliére, 3m1f; “The Madness of the American Sentry,” a comedy in English, 3m1f; “The Man at the Piano Is Not Here,” a 60-minute concert play with music in English set in Clara Schumann’s sanctuary, 1856, 1f.
• “35 years experience working with people from all walks of life in a variety of cultural & community settings - throughout the United States and abroad. The Firebugs * Established 2 theatres. Directed/produced over 80 theatre and mixed media events. Published plays, essays, fiction and reviews covering the arts. Earl Boen as Tom Paine * Teaching venues include educational institutions servicing indigenous and international student populations: The Institute of American Indian Arts (Santa Fe), The American University in Bulgaria, The National Konservatuvari for Music and the Performing Arts (Turkey) Rehearsal of The Visit (Turkey) * Selected as an Artist-in-Residence in New Mexico, Wyoming, North Carolina and Virginia. David Casiano & Friend in Stage Directions * New York State Council On The Arts grant for exploratory video work. Wurlitzer Foundation Playwriting Residence (Taos, NM). Dramatist Guild Playwriting Grant. Actors Studio (Director’s Unit) & Society of Stage Directors and Choreographers workshops, New York City.” — Ned Bobkoff’s Home Page, http://www.artsrochester.org/artists/bobkoff/background.htm, accessed January 31, 2005.
• Addendum November 21, 2004: Bobkoff in 2004 began writing reviews and essays on-line for Scene4: International Magazine for Theatre, Film and the Media, http://www.scene4.com.
angel, desertion, disappearance, disillusionment, elopement, humankind, leadership, marriage, religion, spousal abuse, stranger, borscht circuit theology, visit.