Other Plays by Conal Creedon
Creedon, Conal (American playwright, 19__-____), “After Luke,”
a __-minute drama in English, set in Cork, Ireland, 2009,
© 2009 by Conal Creedon;
• in Conal Creedon’s After Luke (New York: The Author, 2009);
• script/rights available through the Irish Repertory Theatre, 132 West 22nd Street, New York, New York 10011, U.S.A.
• Cited by Jennifer Farrar, The Canadian Press.
Son (m), __, older brother, capable mechanic of somewhat limited social skills; Maneen (m), __, younger borther, manipulative, selfish, lively; Dadda (m), __, their well-meaning father.
In lifelong competition, two brothers argue over issues ranging from childhood pocket money to adult financial disagreements that threaten to shatter family ties. Their well-meaning father attempts to make peace between them, unwittingly favouring one son over the other while striving for fairness.
• "After Luke" and "When I Was God," played in American premiers several weeks off-Broadway at the Irish Repertory Theatre, directed by Tim Ruddy, starring Gary Gregg, Colin Lane, and Michael Mellamphy, July 29, 2009, through September 20. 2009.
• "The Irish Repertory Theatre is proud to present the American Premiere of After Luke. Set in the heyday of Ireland's recent boon, it explores the greed-driven frenzy of the property market when one son returns from abroad and manipulates the sale of the home place. The action unfolds in that contentious place where concrete and asphalt meet pasture and stone with devastatingly tragic consequences."--http://www.irishrep.org/current.htm.
• "Cónal Creedon is a playwright, novelist and documentary maker. His stage plays include The Trial Of Jesus , produced as part of the Irish National Millennium Celebrations. The production was awarded two National Business2Arts Awards and nominated for The Irish Times Theatre Awards, Glory Be To The Father, produced by Red Kettle and completed a successful national tour in 2002. The Second City Trilogy, comprising three plays [The Cure, After Luke & When I Was God], was commissioned as part of the Cultural Capital of Europe Celebrations 2005. He has worked as a radio presenter with RTE, a columnist with The Irish Times and has made a number of critically acclaimed television documentaries including, “The Burning of Cork” , “Why The Guns Remained Silent In Rebel Cork” , “If It’s Spiced Beef” , “The Boys Of Fairhill” , and “Flynnie - The Man Who Walked Like Shakespeare”  [Nominated for the Focal International Documentary Awards ]. http://www.conalcreedon.com."--http://www.irishrep.org/current.htm.
• Research could include "When I Was God," a searing drama of a father's heartbreaking expectations for his son in sports. Tribal passions emerge as we witness through the eyes of a ten year old, the unbridled longings of a fanatical dad. On the field of dreams the referee is God, but what happens when God is made man?
• Page mounted August 6, 2009, by the site Webmaster.
father-son relationship, favoritism, finances, sibling rivalry.