The Africa Room
Ugulini, Michael (aka Mike Ugulini, Canadian playwright, 1957-____), “The Africa Room,”
a __-minute drama in English, set in the bar/lounge of a hotel, 1980,
© 2006 by Michael Ugulini;
• in Mike Ugulini’s The Africa Room (Toronto, Ontario, Canada: The Author, 2006), 36 pp.;
• script/rights available from Mike Ugulini, 417-270 Wellington Street West, Toronto, Ontario M5V 3P5, Canada, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com, telephone 416-598-0250 or 905-562-4173 ext. 231.
• Cited by Mike Ugulini via e-mail, January 25, 2007; Ugulini says,
Len (m), 55, Bartender; Mr. Bob Green (m), 45, Hotel Owner; Amy (f), 25, Waitress; Valerie (f), 58, Former Waitress.
“A hotel bartender, Len, at the height of the disco era is forced out of his position after thirty years when the ownership of the hotel lounge decides to change the image of the lounge from that of a tacky 1960s safari lounge to a sleek contemporary dance-club room. Len cannot accept this change and tries to hold onto the past . . . with all its memories—both good and bad.
• “The set has scattered items conveying a jungle/safari theme; tribal masks, a seat pillow with a lion on it, a tall paper mache giraffe next to an easy chair, maps of Africa behind a simple bar, stuffed animals, some greenery to evoke a jungle . . . whatever is needed to give credence to the lounge’s name ‘The Africa Room’ which is posted at a suggested entrance, STAGE RIGHT, on an easel. There are three sets of tables and chairs by the bar along with a sofa-type lounging chair. There are five stools at the bar. The set can be simplified even more . . . just as long as an African safari theme is invoked.
• Michael Ugulini won 1st place in the WRITESAFE 4th Quarter writing contest in 2005 for his short script ‘Ice Cream.’ Also, he won 1st place in the American Gem Short Screenplay competition (2006) for his short script ‘Parched.’ The Playwright is a member of The Dramatists Guild of America, Inc.”
aging, change, fear, friendship, holding onto the past, lost dream, marriage, passage of time, yearning.
Other Plays by Michael Ugulini